The mission of the Utah Sports Commission is to help enhance Utah’s economy, image and quality of life through the attraction, promotion and development of national and international sports, and to be a catalyst for Utah in its Olympic legacy efforts.
The role of the Utah Sports Commission is to act as facilitator, catalyst, coordinator, ombudsman, salesman, cheerleader or any other role that might be helpful or necessary to assist the various sports related organizations in Utah in attracting events, revenue, athlete development opportunities, and positive exposure to the state.
The Utah Sports Commission is playing and will continue to play a vital coordinating role in the Utah sports community. An umbrella sports organization such as the Sports Commission allows Utah to brand and position itself in the global sports marketplace more effectively than if multiple organizations and venues were to attempt this on their own. The Sports Commission helps Utah present a unified sports message, helping to eliminate confusion and duplication of roles, and develop liaisons with key national and international sports organizations that can assist in elevating Utah’s present position in the global sports marketplace.
The Sports Commission’s goal and charter is to make life better for all citizens of Utah and help the sports industry and our communities grow economically through sport. The very nature of an effectively operating sports commission increases the number of sports events hosted in the state and helps facilitate and coordinate sports activities in a way that will benefit everyone in Utah.
- Attract, host and support regional, national and international sports events and be a catalyst to grow Utah’s sports eco-system.
- Enhance Utah’s domestic and international image by using sport as a platform to develop and promote a vibrant sports tourism industry.
- Encourage the development of amateur athletics and sport development throughout the state.
The Utah Sports Commission acts as a catalyst in unifying Utah's sports community and strengthening Utah's presence in the global sports marketplace. Our strategic marketing plans include the following initiatives:
- Continue efforts to brand Utah as “THE STATE OF SPORT”
- Brand Utah as a year round sports destination through promotion of the its diverse summer and winter venues
- Help Utah send a consistent message to the sports marketplace and avoid duplication of efforts by coordinating marketing strategies and sports event opportunities with statewide partners
- Play a vital coordinating role in bringing business, government, and sports leaders together to grow sports in Utah
- Serve as a sports industry information resource and point of contact for entities within and outside of Utah, through website and statewide sports database
- Position Utah in the sports marketplace by attending sports conferences and tradeshows during the year and promoting Utah through advertising efforts including, television, magazine, newspapers, press releases, etc.
- The Utah Sports Commission works with partners on bid development, volunteer coordination, sponsorship, event logistics planning, event promotion, and other related services.
- The Sports Commission was chartered to manage the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic Winter Games legacy Volunteer Database. This valuable resource provides well-trained volunteers to sporting events.
- The Sports Commission has facilitated the creation of TEAM UTAH which consists of all entities within Utah working with the Sports Commission to improve the state through sports.
- Through successful bid efforts with our TEAM UTAH partnering organizations, hundreds of events have been landed statewide, which have generated millions in economic impact to the state, many of which have been showcased to a national and international television audience. The Utah Sports Commission has provided financial grants to over 380 of these events, impacting 27 cities throughout the State of Utah.